1) How do you pick the date?
Our date is based on a combination of when the space we wanted is available at the hotel, and looking at other events which would overlap with our attendees (and our board members). These included other area convention events, Easter (when people may have family commitments and there’s another local convention) and the equinox, when those in groups may have group ritual commitments.
2) Will there be a food event?
Due to the added programming we currently have, food events will now be offered as part of the Saturday Night Equinox Ball celebration.
3) Will there be day passes?
In previous years we did not offer day passes, but in 2014 introduced them due to popular demand. Day passes for Friday cost $40, for Saturday cost $60 (includes the Equinox Ball), for Sunday $40. Ball tickets are also available for sale separately, please see below. All day passes are available for purchase online and all weekend in our Operations suite (Con Ops).
4) What about the evening music events?
We do offer separate tickets just for the Equinox Ball on Saturday night. One ticket is included in your weekend registration or Saturday Only Pass, already. But if someone just wants to go to the ball, the cost is $15.
5) How do I reserve a party suite?
More information on this is now on its own page, but
- Complete the Request Form (as detailed on that page). At least one person for each hospitality suite must be a registered member of the convention at the point you request a suite.
- Pay us directly for the room reservation costs. (Any incidentals for the room would require someone associated with the room providing a credit card to the hotel front desk.)
- You will be responsible for obeying all of our agreements with the hotel about use of these rooms (detailed on that information page). These are designed to protect the hotel and make sure legal issues are handled appropriately.
6) Why a Registration cap?
We want to make sure that we’re using our space well, and that we’re building a volunteer base that can continue to support growth and a great event without burning people out. If we begin to get close to our cap (around 400 registrations), we’ll have a quick and easy way to determine how many registrations are still available.
7) How do you choose the Guest of Honor and Featured Guests?
We review the feedback forms from the prior years event, and compile the suggestions given to us by the participants. We take the most popular suggestions for both GOH and theme, then work as a board to determine who would be the best fit for our coming event. Once our Guest of Honor(s) have been chosen we approach them to arrange a contract. After that is complete we reach out to those who we know are already attending or are regional; to establish our Featured Guest presenters. Guest of Honor are compensated for their time, plus accommodations and travel up to the current budget availability. Featured Guests are given a complimentary registration to the event and attend our Guest of Honor Dinner Thursday before the Con opens.