Paganicon is a rapidly-growing, popular convention, which means we rely on the Flying Monkey Squad to help things run smoothly. Yes, that is what our volunteers have been called from 2013 forward! You know you always wanted to be a flying monkey, and now here’s your chance!
If you want to help before the Con you can join our > Street Team < and spread the word. Just click on the link! For folks who want to help during Paganicon read on…
Starting in 2016 we have a new reimbursement policy. That’s right, now you can actually work back your entire registration fee! Each shift is 1.5–2.5 hours, depending on what and when it is. You’ll be able to see the amount of time on our shift sign-up sheet. No matter the length of your shifts, you will get the following rebates after the con (not to exceed the amount you actually paid for registration):
2 shifts = $15 rebate
4 shifts = $30 rebate
6 shifts = $45 rebate
8 shifts = $60 rebate
For some registrations, we’ll be able to refund you directly through EventBrite, while for other types we may have to mail you a check after the Con. Just come to Con Ops on Sunday between 2-7pm with your completed time card and we’ll check your registration and let you know. If you need to leave earlier, or your final volunteer shift is later (Tear-Down shift), you’ll simply leave your completed time card with a board member and we will take care of you after the Con.
How do I sign up?
The first step is to get on our mailing list by submitting the form at the bottom of this page, sending an email to volunteers at paganicon.org, or joining our Flying Monkey Squad facebook group.
Once you are signed up, you will receive emails (or facebook notifications) from Paganicon. (Check your spam box now and then, just in case.) Before the con, we will email you a Google Docs spreadsheet where you can sign up for the shifts of your choice. Once you sign up, you are committed to that time slot! If you do not show up for a shift (and you haven’t notified Con Ops ahead of time) you will forfeit any other shifts you worked that day from your rebate.
You’ll need to check in at Con Ops (Room 217) 5-10 minutes before your shift begins, and immediately after your shift has ended, to get your time card verified and initialed. You’ll keep that with you until all of your shifts are completed. Then you’ll hand it in at Con Ops on Sunday 2-7pm or directly to a board member at any other time. We will need your legal name and email address you used for registration. Depending on when you bought your registration, we may be able to reimburse you immediately on the card you used to pay, through EventBrite. Otherwise we will take your address and mail you a check in the weeks immediately following Paganicon.
What kind of volunteer positions are available?
Here is a quick run-down of different types of Flying Monkeys we’ll need at Paganicon. Most posts require you to be a registered attendee, but some don’t, and will be marked as such.
- Badge checking: perhaps the easiest job at Paganicon! You just sit in one place and make sure only people with badges enter. We will have three badge-checking stations this year (2016) because of the expansion so we need you more than ever! During the ball, badge checkers will need to check for people with badges or a Ball-only stamp on their hand. Registered attendees only.
- Friday morning Set-Up: we’ll need helpers to unload trucks downstairs and haul up equipment using the service elevator, including panels to hang artwork, musical equipment for the ballroom, and pipe and drape for the ballroom and the divination room. Some heavy lifting may be required, and the more volunteers we have on Friday afternoon, the faster it will go. Registered attendees only.
- Sunday Evening Tear-Down: removing any equipment from the ballroom, hospitality suite, art show, registration table, and so on; loading into trucks and cars as directed by board members. Volunteers do not need to be registered as this will take place after the con is over, from 6pm Sunday on (or after 5pm in the vendor room and other areas open to the public).
- Registration/Con Ops: checking people in on Friday evening, Saturday morning, and/or selling ball tickets Saturday night. Computer-literate, and good with administrative duties and numbers is preferable here. Registered attendees only on Saturday night (ball), but non-registered volunteers are welcome on Friday, and Saturday morning.
- Art Show Security: we need some pleasant and responsible people to keep an eye on the art work while the Art Show is open. If you are one of the artists who will be showing their work this year, we strongly urge you to volunteer here for a few hours, because you’ll be in the best position to talk about the art as well! The art show volunteer will also need to assist with art sales in some capacity – training provided.
- Vendor room: we need gofers to take care of any issues our vendor room coordinator may have, including helping vendors with errands, questions, and so on. Volunteers in the vendor room do not need to be registered attendees, but they should be trustworthy people we know personally.
- Decorating committee: we’ll need help decorating for the Equinox Ball, making the ballroom look gorgeous ahead of time and taking decorations out of the space after the ball has concluded. Registered attendees only.
Remember that most Flying Monkeys will need to be registered attendees of Paganicon. If you haven’t signed up already, click here. If you’re not registered, you are not eligible for any rebate amount and you won’t be able to enter beyond the badge checkers to enjoy any programming (lectures, ball or music), but you can still have fun as a volunteer and get our undying thanks.
Please use the contact form below to add your name to the ranks of the Flying Monkey Squad, and we’ll add you to our mailing list where we send out volunteer-specific updates as well as the sign-up sheet for shifts. Thank you for your interest!
[Note: in recent weeks we’ve been experiencing a few glitches with the captchas, so if you cannot get the form to work, please email volunteers <at> paganicon <dot> org. Thank you!]